Friday, July 21, 2006

Ceramic Irons for Less!

A couple years so ago I was introduced to the ceramic flat iron (thanks, Steffanie!). What makes flat irons so great? They can straighten hair, but also bend, flip, or curl (even spiral curl) due to their rounded edges. Something about the ceramic helps your hair keep its luster opposed to dull, like with regular metal curling irons. Even better, my hair dresser used the same iron I bought, so I knew it was good. The problem was the price. Retail prices for the flat iron I wanted, the HAI Convertible (below with the blue plates), reached up to $125! I just couldn't do it. Luckily eBay came to the rescue! I have had to purchase three HAI Convertibles (my first one, a replacement after I left one in a hotel, and one for my mom), and I have never had to pay more than $78 including shipping.


hen I recently cut my hair I decided to purchase the smaller CHI Ceramic Flat Iron 3/4" turbo. This particular one has been seen for as high as $195, but eBay came to my rescue yet again. I was able to purchase one for $60 including shipping.



Many of you may be thinking that finding a $20 ceramic iron at your local Sally's Beauty Supply or Ulta may be a steal. Beware for a couple of reasons:
1) There are many flat irons out there that claim to be "ceramic" when in actuality they are only ceramic-plated. Make sure the iron is ceramic throughout.
2) The higher end ceramic irons have temperature setting that usually go up to 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. The lower end versions only have the typical low-medium-high settings which won't do the trick for hair that is thick like mine.

So go to eBay and grab yours! I'm sure like me you won't be able to live without it!

No comments: