Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Most Wine for your Buck

It has been a while since I’ve done a post on inexpensive wines, so I wanted to update you on some more that I've found. With all the wine varieties and brands out there, I know it’s hard to find wines that are good. But let me tell you, you do not have to spend a lot for a nice bottle of wine.

White
Like I said in the last wine posting, I love Rieslings. But not all Rieslings are the same. Some are dry and tart (yuck) and others are smooth and sweet (ahhhh). Here are a couple of my favorite under $10 Rieslings:

Bloom Riesling - Fruity, floral and slightly sweet, Bloom is a great wine on a nice spring or summer day. I have not seen it in the store for more than $9.99 and I found it here for just $6.99.

Schmitt Sohne Relax Riesling - I know, a name like Relax doesn't sound very classy. But let me tell you, this Riesling is easy on the palette and very pleasant. It is great with just about any light meal or just by itself. I found it here for just $7.99.

Red
Folie a Deux Menage a Trois Red Wine - I know what you're thinking...pretty risque name for a wine.
It is called menage a trois because it's a blend of Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The result is a perfect blend of smooth, rich, berry flavors. I tasted this one for the first time at Pete Miller's Steakhouse in Evanston, IL. The waiter recommended it to my friend and me and it was magnificent. I was delighted when I saw it in the grocery store for under $10! Check it out here for just $8.95.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Like you I’m a RIESLING fan. One that I find that is wonderful is, Hugo (late harvest) Riesling. My friends and I are hooked. By the way love your site.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Queen Terrell! I will check out Hugo.

Anonymous said...

it's Schmitt Sohne.

And it's GREAT - they also have a cool Relax Red.

jennifer said...

I LOVE the relax! I've only tried the blue, but I want to try the red.